02 April, 2012

Andha Naal Movie


Andha Naal  

As I was checking the IMDB most popular movies, I saw Rashomon and Rashomon Effect. It was interesting to know this effect was used in Andha Naal and Virumaandi. I had watched Virumaandi and could easily relate to the Rashomon Effect. Then, I was very much interested to watch Andha Naal and googled for Torrents and Rapidshare Links. All the links were dead and I thought of buying the original DVD. Moserbaer has brought lots of DVDs at affordable prices.

Luckily, I found it on LandmarkOnTheNet. The DVD cost ₹ 67 (with free shipping) and I immediately placed the order. After reading the story in Wiki, I could recall the climax, I had watched long back. But, I couldn't remember the entire story. Please don't ever read the story in Wiki as it's a big spoiler and you will miss a lot. Each and every scene is narrated well. I don't know who sits and writes everything. Even, the directors will appreciate Wiki for presenting the scripts so well. After watching English movies, I read the storyline to get more facts and to confirm whether I understood the story correctly.

Only today, I got the time to watch it. As I knew the climax already, the suspense and thrill was lost. I liked the way Veenai S. Balachander had weaved the story among the 4 suspects and experimenting such a novel theme. This movie was released in 1954 and the director should be appreciated for using this effect long back.

I couldn't believe Pandari Bai was the heroine. She is no more and had done a mother's role in Rajini's Mannan.


This film inspired by the 1950 Akira Kurosawa film Rashômon was a commercial failure. It was the first talkie in India without a song or dance. But it won the National Film Award for Best Feature Film in Tamil in 1955.

I love the way Virumaandi was portrayed. And Rashomon is the movie in my Next-to-watch-list.

No comments:

Post a Comment