29 June, 2010

My friend's Nikkah

 Seeing the above image, you would be wondering what it means. The above letters mean Nikkah in Arabic. It refers to the matrimonial contract between a bride and the bridegroom within Islamic marriage. Yesterday, one of my muslim friends got married. Five of us Raja, Sugeesh, Badhma, Saravanan and I decided to go to the marriage. So far, I haven't attended any of the Muslim's marriage and I was very much eager to attend this one. Before entering the hall, I called Raja and came to know that he was on the way and would reach in 15 minutes. As I was late, I missed the wedding rituals :-(.

Soon after entering the hall, I saw only the groom on the stage. And there were a lot of men hugging one another. I haven't seen this in any of our marriages. I was very much astonished by this scene and didn't even notice Sugeesh waving at me. Only Sugeesh was punctual and was fortunate to see the rituals.




The remaining three had gone for purchasing gifts at the last minute and were late. We signed the greeting card and was waiting for the bride to make her presence on the stage. After sometime we knew that all the men were in one hall and the women including the bride were in another room. It was time for lunch and we gave the gift to her brother and moved to the dining hall.

Even in the dining hall, men were seated in a separate hall and the women were in another hall. Mutton Briyani, Chicken Masala and Sweets were served. The briyani went well with Chicken masala. The fresh bread with Rava Payasam and Carrot Halwa was a superb combination. As we were eating, one of the hosts gave us a Trendy Pouch with Dry fruits and Sweets. Seeing the pouch, I remember my grandma's Surukku Pai. A special thanks to Badhma and Saravanan for those wonderful photographs.

Even after finishing the lunch, we didn't see the bride. We chatted for sometime and planned to go to Citi Center for Window Shopping. The lunch was very heavy and on the way we drank Sprite to ease digestion. In the Citi Center, Raja took a lot of pain to take a snap with Volkswagen.
I wish to attend a North-Indian marriage. Friends do invite me. :-)

6 comments:

  1. Good one Bala. So soon we can expect a post on North-Indian wedding.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @On7June: Thanks! Saravana. If I get a chance, I will surely post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bala, that was a nice narration to know for a person who missed the marriage. I really missed the lunch, especially after reading your post!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Bala!!!

    thanks for coming!!! :)

    ReplyDelete